(3 pound) chicken, skinned and chopped
into 8 pieces (deboned chicken pieces are
used at the restaurant, but you can keep the
bones on if preferred)
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup white vinegar
6 cloves garlic, mashed
1 piece fresh ginger, size of a walnut
(about 1 1/2 tablespoons), minced
2 tablespoons oil
2 onions, chopped fine
2 tomatoes, chopped fine
1 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon tomatoe paste
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare chicken and set aside.
2. Mix together the yogurt, vinegar, garlic and ginger. Then add the chicken
pieces. Mix ingredients well, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably
3. In a heavy skillet, heat the oil and saute onions until they are golden brown.
Add tomatoes and dry masala, cook over high heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes
Add the chicken with its marinade. Simmer 20 minutes.
4. Add the cubed potato, tomato paste and about 1/2 cup water ( more if you prefer
more gravy). Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken and potatoes are
5. Season generously with salt and pepper, and additional red pepper flakes if you
prefer a hot dish.